Friday, May 23, 2008

Return from Halifax (picture heavy)

I'm back from Halifax. Lots of work got done, but we also managed to drive out of the city and to one of those rugged, rocky beaches Nova Scotia is famous for. It was beautiful. I could have spent hours just standing there, smelling the ocean air, watching the waves crash against the rocks... and I would have taken pictures of it. If I had thought to take my camera, which I didn't, silly person that I am. Oh, well. It turns out I'm going down there again in less than two weeks. Must remember to bring the camera.

While I was there, I discovered the danger of walking through a shopping mall to get from my hotel to the office. I saw these shoes in a window, and... well. You know. Girl. Shoe store. Shoes happen.


Aren't these the cutest?


I needed new summer sandals anyway, my old pair is falling apart. But being a knitter, I didn't just buy shoes, oh no. How could I refuse the suggestion to go yarn shopping during my lunch break?
Well, let's see how I did.

Exhibit A: Lucy Neatby Merino Dream in a bright, bright orange color. It was sitting in a basket with its less brightly-colored friends, positively begging me to take it home.


Exhibit B: Soft, squooshy Misty Alpaca laceweight, in a gorgeous light burgundy. Oh, it's wonderful. And I already have plans for it. I want it to turn into a Christmas shawl for me to wear during the holidays.


Exhibit C: Two skeins of Manos, in blacks, reds, and other lava-like colors. The color number is 105, but I think it should be called Eerily Beautiful!


Oh, and fiber happened too. Exhibit D: Pretty fiber in purples and burgundies. Let me tell you, it took a lot of self-restraint to pick up only one of these.


The verdict: Yarn diet? Not so much. I'll have to not repeat this in 2 weeks or so, when I'm going back. But this yarn makes me happy. I just wish I could have finished some knitting while I was there. Except I forgot my needles. Yes, you heard me: I finished the first husband sock, kitchenered the toe, forgot my Addis at home. And didn't find out until after yarn shopping. Oops.

23 comments:

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I adore those shoes. Good thing someone can walk in them. Carry on for us, your weaker-footed, awkward sisters.

turtlegirl76 said...

Very cute shoes! Love the yarn more though. Oooh that red laceweight! And the orangy goodness! I didn't know Lucy Neatby had a yarn line.

Bezzie said...

Nice! Shoes and yarn, you just needed to buy chocolate to complete the trifecta.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing that Christmas shawl. Looks like you had a great time!

Peri said...

Love those shoes and am totally green over the yarn/fibre especially the eerily beautiful one - sorry bout spelling - mid life brain fart!

sgeddes said...

Wow! new shoes and yarn - I don't think there could be a more perfect day. Both look great.

adrienne said...

Ooh, gorgeous yarn! I really like the orange Lucy Neatby, it is so bright and awesome! The shoes are awesome too, but wow, I would never be able to wear them...

Zonda said...

Neat shoes! Lovely yarns and fiber, but bummer on no needles!

ZantiMissKnit said...

Shoes!!!!! Really really want.

I'm not doing to well on my yarn diet either, and Mind's Eye is having a sale soon. I need to seriously detash.

I love the yarn and fiber you bought, however. Consider it a job perk!

Bonnie said...

Oh, too bad about forgetting your needles. But you did really well with the stash enhancement! Can't wait to see what you make with the Misti Alpaca.

cpurl17 said...

Super cute shoes + fabulous yarn = my kind of shopping!!

Elspeth said...

Great shoes! And the yarn is nice too ;)

Beverly said...

Those are THE CUTEST shoes!

Awesome yarn haul. Buying yarn always makes me want to cast on for something right away, no matter what I already have on the needles.

weezalana said...

Cute shoes! And lovely yarniness, too! Now that's the way to do a shopping spree. ;)

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Those shoes are so perfect and so you!! Love them!

And the yarn shopping!! Yay! Such pretty stuff :) How you'll resist in two weeks I'm not sure!

prairiegirl said...

LOVE the shoes! Those are great!! and the yarn too of course. And my theory is that shopping when away from home is perfectly acceptable. In fact it would be wrong not to do so! I call such purchases souvenirs so no one can complain! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, those shoes are awesome. But I have to agree with TurtleGirl - the yarn is awesome too. Especially that orange. Someone has been nagging me to knit something orange for a while now. What will you make with it?

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I love those shoes! So sexy!

I have that same manos! What are you gonna do with it?

Jolynn said...

Um... Yeah! Those are the cutest!

schrodinger said...

You scored well with the yarn.

Maureen said...

Wow! That is some haul! Great stuff even the shoes! Those are adorable!! Glad you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Vesna -- Fabulous shoes!

Anonymous said...

Great scores!!! I scored in NS too (thought not in Halifax. Did check out In the Loop upon your suggestion but by that point the acquisition budget was very much drained. Loved the Lucy Neatby stuff though...)

The spooky Manos is fabulous. I would call it "Hallowe'en Kiss".