Sunday, May 11, 2008

Love is...

...knitting reverse stockinette stitch sleeves in a size XL (meant to fit a 44" chest). One done, one left to go. As usual, I took a picture of the wrong side of it -- force of habit and all that. As long as I don't make the same mistake while seaming, everything will work out fine. New mantra: The purl side is the right side, the purl side is the right side, the purl side is the right side.


...knitting socks for a men's 10.5 (German men's size 45/46) on US #0/2.0 mm needles. In all fairness, my gauge is a bit larger than usual on 0's, so things are moving along fairly well. I'm loving the way this pattern is working up, it's a very elegant and masculine sock.


...posting loads of pictures of one's cats. Here is Merlin, rudely awakened from his kitty nap by a camera-wielding madwoman. Morgana is currently enjoying the Upstairs Forbidden Zone, otherwise known as my blocking attic, and she won't lie still long enough for fear of being evicted.


And, last but not least:
Love is celebrating gifts passed down from woman to woman. My grandmother taught me to knit, my 'adopted' grandmother, who watched me for 16 years, taught me how to knit socks, and my mother taught me how to work through difficult tasks with ingenuity, determination, and the willingness to keep trying until it works.

Thank you, and a Happy Mother's Day to all!

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

That sock is "basic" enough for a guy, but elegant enough for a woman, too, I think. Great stitchwork on it!

Good luck with the rest of the sweater and the seaming. It will be done before you know it!

fleegle said...

Gorgeous! And boy, I hope he appreciates it! The sock is very pretty too- I love the pattern!

And yes, Noro--the prettiest pot scrubbers on the planet :)

Anonymous said...

I'm such a bad wife. I *still* haven't knit the man socks. Or anything else. *hangs head*

IrishGirlieKnits said...

That is a lot of love! Especially that sleeve :) And I do love the kitties!! Merlin cracks me up :)

Bezzie said...

Woah. Yeah, that's love!!!

weezalana said...

Ooo, I really like how that sock is knitting up! I just checked and they have it at the library. Must put it on my list!

Heehee - Merlin totally has sleepy eyes nap face!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

happy mother's day!

Becky said...

That's a very nice sock pattern. It's working up beautifully. And the red sweater is really coming along. Can't wait to see it all put together.

Maureen said...

That is one big sweater! I don't think I could do it! Socks look great too!

Sarah said...

Lovely, but big! Yep, that is love.