Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Package from Home!

I got a package from my parents and my sister! It's not a holiday, it's not my birthday, it's a just-because-we-love-you gift.

The first book contains a story by my friend Linda, who is a gifted writer and a poet and my German goth festival buddy. She has won several awards for her work, and my mother picked up this book when she went to a reading. The other book is a novel my sister enjoyed. The cover alone tells me I'll like it -- books, a one-eyed monster/alien, how can this not be good?


Oh, and yarn. Two skeins of gorgeous sock yarn. My guess is that my sister picked these out. She's not a knitter, but she has excellent taste in sock yarn. And she's one of those rare people who do not knit, yet appreciate the time and love that are poured into hand-knit pieces and appreciate them accordingly.


Both my parents know how I feel about chocolate. There was a package of marzipan hot chocolate in there too, but in my excitement, I forgot to take a picture of it. After I eat all this, I may have to go buy another set of business suits, but oh, it will be worth it!


Last but not least, I would like to thank all the friendly knitters who offered their advice on my Monkey sock problem. If you remember, the issue was that the sock is 8" around the ankle, but my ankle circumference is 7.5", tops.
Because these socks are sort of cursed, I didn't want to start over. The first 62 rows are knit on US 1 needles, then I finished the repeat on US 0's and added an extra repeat to make the wider part of the sock sit at a wider part of my leg. Next time, I'll knit the whole sock on 0's, but this is a great alternative to starting over.


I'm working on the heel now. These socks are a lot of fun to knit, even though they are somewhat cursed!

18 comments:

fleegle said...

Froh here, the Japanese is in huge type--I couldn't get Blogger to display it in the correct size. I do have Japanese installed on my machine, but that shouldn't have any impact on how other people see the characters. I think you do have to use a font with Unicode character set to get foreign characters to show up.

Wish I could help on the sock...throw it in a hot washer? Okay, bad idea.

Nice chocolate by the way mmmm :)

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

What a great package!

Bezzie said...

Chocolate, sock yarn, and books? That's the trifecta!

Bonnie said...

I am very, very envious of that awesome gift package! GREAT sock yarn! I'm glad you found a solution for your Monkeys and can keep knitting without having to start over. Yay!

Lauren said...

What a nice package. :)

That was a great idea for fixing the sock!

Lauren said...

What a nice package. :)

That was a great idea for fixing the sock!

Lara 900 said...

Hi Batty,

das ist ja ein tolles Care Paket aus Deutschland -- und gibt mir eine Idee, was ich mir mal demnaechst aus Deutschland bestellen koennte per amazon...

Gruesse,
Lara

Jo said...

Great package! I love the ble-green sock yarn.

sgeddes said...

The chocolate and the sock yarn looks yummy!

I'm glad you didn't start those socks over! I can't wait to see them finished. They are going to be very nice when complete.

Amanda said...

The Monkeys are looking great!!

Mmmmm....marzipan....

Maureen said...

What lovely gifts! From such a sweet family! They know you well! Enjoy!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Gorgeous sock yarn!! Don't you love sisters (sometimes, of course...hehehe)!

Yay on fixing the monkey sock dilemna!

Soo said...

What a great care package!! It's so nice to be reminded that people are thinking about you when they are far away.

weezalana said...

Heehee, a one-eyed monster/alien in the library! How fun!

Excellent solution to the fit problem!

bookgrump said...

I'm glad that you found a way to save the monkeys! They're going to be gorgeous!

Jess said...

What a fun package. Yarn, chocolate and good reading materials... you can't beat it!

Virtuous said...

Thanks so much for coming by to visit me at my blog!

I am lovin' my Harmony set!!

Mary, Mary... said...

Like Bezzie said--the trifecta of packages. Lindt marzipan---swoon.