Monday, July 02, 2007

Family Fun Weekend

We had a great time with my father-in-law and his wife. The cleaning was done before they showed up, and we had a lovely dinner cooked by yours truly.

Then, Saturday morning, we drove to Boston and walked the Freedom Trail. The guided tour was fantastic, it was sunny out, and we enjoyed ourselves tremendously. I've been living in and around Boston for 7 years, and somehow, I managed to never really notice most of the historic landmarks around here. A lot of it has to do with rushing to work or classes and trying to catch the T or Commuter Rail, but really, it's inexcusable.

When we were done with the tour and headed back to the car, we saw some British Regulars marching towards School Street (click on pictures to get a better view).


And then, we walked past some rebellious colonists. That really made our 4th of July patriotic activity complete.


On Sunday, we went to Newport, RI. We got there just as the Tall Ships event was closing with the Parade of Sails, where the ships are sailing past one last time on their way out to sea. Here are some of the shots I managed to take, magnified as much as my camera would allow because the ships were really far away from our vantage point on Goat Island.

Yes, they're tall.


I wish more of these were still in use.


We also did the scenic ocean drive past all sorts of mansions, historic and modern. They're gorgeous, but without servants, I wouldn't take them for free. Our little townhouse took forever to clean, can you imagine how long it takes to clean an enormous mansion?

Not much knitting was done. Next up: some progress on some of my WIP's, the number of which has increased alarmingly since last week. I think I'm up to 6...

22 comments:

Carina said...

I totally agree about big houses. My house is more than big enough (I'm avoiding doing any cleaning right now, in fact), and I can't imagine anything bigger without staff. Like that would ever happen.

I was in Boston one year for the Fourth. It rained, and I decided to stay in the hotel room. I was an idiot.

Heathermione said...

That's pretty awesome! I'm a big-time history buff, so I'd love to go see all that stuff! (And I agree, there should be way more tall ships in use today!)

Sssarahevt said...

Love the tall ships! Grew up in RI and went to see them a lot. With all your 4th-related events, will you be going to the Bristol parade as well?

bigevilgrape said...

Your pictures are way better then what we had on hte news (tall ship pics)

Rebel said...

oh wow - that looks like a lot of fun. I want to go someday... but I'm sure I'll be quoting "The midnight ride of Paul Revere" the entire time!
... the British Regulars fired & fled... the farmers gave them ball for ball from behind each fence & farm yard wall... - zuma

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend!!

Anonymous said...

Big houses and no help that is definitely not a job I would want by myself. Looks like you guys had a great time. Love the pictures of the ships.

Chauntel said...

Boston is one place I have never visited & would love to spend weeks there! The tallest ships we get here in Santa Barbara are cruise ships. Lame!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

sounds like a fun weekend. Lucky you!

cpurl17 said...

What a fabulous place to be to celebrate the 4th of July!

Bonnie said...

Sounds like you had a great time! You know, when I've been to Newport and looked at those huge mansions, I've thought the same thing--how much work it would be to keep one of them up! Not to mention how expensive to heat them.

Did you do the Cliff Walk? It's really worth it if you have the chance.

Bezzie said...

Nah, a big old house like that--who would have time to cover all that area to mess it up??

Very cool pics. Newport seems like the place to go too.

Elspeth said...

Wow that looks like fun! I haven't been to Boston since high school, but I should head out after you posted such nice photos!

Nell said...

Boston looks absolutely lovely. It really is on my list of places to go. I just need to find a conference and wangle work to pay for it.. :)

Poops said...

We got to go on one of the ships. Very cool, but I couldn't imagine living on one at sea. Made me want to urp just thinking about it.

I swear, someday I'm going to live in Newport again...someday!

spinndiva said...

Sounds like a great Weekend!

Zonda said...

Oh I love Boston!! Sounds like a good visit! Have a great weekend!

Maureen said...

It makes me long to visit my old stomping grounds! I did my Masters work a Cambribridge Un. and lived in Beverly and Peabody for a number of years... went took lots of field trips to Boston. Love that city! Thanks for the fun photos!

weezalana said...

Fun pics! That last one looks like a pirate ship!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic time - beautiful pics!

Rain said...

It looks like you had an amazing time.

Jen said...

I also lived in Boston for several years and walked the freedom trail 2 or 3 times when visitors came, but never on my own. Oh how I miss the fireworks on the esplanade and the BSO at the Hatch Shell. LA just doesn't have the same patriotic feeling to it...