Friday, June 22, 2007

WIP Friday (yes, again!)

We have progress! My right hand no longer hurts. I fell down the stairs the other day and caught my hand on the banister, and now my left thumb is giving me trouble. Can you say klutz? Fortunately, I'm not a lefty, so I can crochet and even knit.

The knitting has been going well. The front of the dad sweater is almost done, and for once, it doesn't look like it's tomato red. I love the way the colors are working out. In the original pattern, the body of the sweater is gray, the stripe with the cables red, and the edge black. I reversed red and gray and am using a dark navy instead of the black, and I think it was a good choice.


The Baltic Sea Stole has been frogged and re-started. I didn't get around to casting on until today, which explains the "progress": 3 rows of seed stitch. 141 stitches instead of 171 in my previous attempt, and I'm using size 3 needles. I already like the fabric a lot better. Because of the smaller needles, I can knit more loosely, which will make the k2tog's and ssk's easier. I'm glad I had the guts to rip it out.


My sister's socks are also progressing. As you can see, I just turned the heel on sock #2. At first, I wasn't crazy about the little holes the YO's on the Welsh Heel are producing, but once they're all there, it's actually kind of pretty.
The Opal Hundertwasser is a blast to knit with, and even though I didn't decide to make the socks radically different from each other, I like the subtle differences in striping.


And now, because it is Friday and because I don't want to strain convention to the breaking point: STR prOn!


I got my Socks That Rock package and it contains this gorgeous colorway. You'll hear more about it when I'm done with my sister's socks and get started on this project.

Coming up: Tangerine Twist, which, in my case, is more a dawny pink color. Also coming up: spinning and more sock knitting. Stay tuned!

18 comments:

Bonnie said...

It's good to hear your wrist isn't hurting anymore!

All of your WIPS look great. I can't wait to see your Tangerine Twist. I printed out that pattern with the wild hope that I might make it soon, but I don't know where I'll find the time.

I'll have to enjoy seeing yours and all the others that will be made. I think that's going to be a hugely popular pattern.

Bezzie said...

I love that gray cabling on the red on the dad sweater. I can't wait to see that sweater finished!

sharon said...

The sweater is looking like it needs someone in it. I like when suff reaches the point of almost wearability. The yarn is yummy - can't wait to see those socks.

Larjmarj said...

I just bought that color of the Hundertwasser. Love the way it's working up for you! I love the orange yarn too, very edible. ;-) Hope you get pics of Dad modeling when it's finished.

weezalana said...

Great color choices on the Dad sweater!

*sees STR pr0n, wipes drool from chin. and table. and keyboard.*

Nell said...

I'm sorry you bashed your hand! Falling down stairs is the kind of thing I do.

The sweater looks great, I think reversing the red and grey was a good plan too.

KNIT A NEW DREAM said...

Love the sweater - Can hardly wait to see it done! So sorry about your fall - I too fall into the klutz category and have more booboos than I care to show. Take care Sue

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

wow you've definitely been busy. Everything looks great, glad to hear the BSS round two is going better!

spinndiva said...

Schoene Socken fuer die Schwester!
Ich finde die Farbe fuer die baltic sea stole auch ganz schoen! Lila's sind mit in meinen Lieblingsfarben!
Hoffe dass die Hand bald wieder wird!
Boese Treppengelaender!

Jessica said...

I'm glad you feel better. That sweater looks great and I LOVE those socks. Yummy STR!

susubee said...

Frogging the stole must have been painful, but I'm sure that you'll enjoy it much more now that it's behaving the way you want it to. It's going to look lovely!

Unknown said...

Your dad's sweater is looking great! I love the reversal of gray cabling on a red background.

Good thing your thumb was the only thing that got hurt when you fell. I've done worse and it was no fun.

Wishing you 4th time's the charm on your Baltic sea stole. I love the color of that yarn.

bookgrump said...

Your projects look awesome. I can't wait to see how the dad sweater turns out.

Jo said...

Nice Wips :) I like the socks you are working on as well as that orange sock yarn!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you fell down the stairs, that stinks! I love the color you're using for the Baltic Sea Stole...

fleegle said...

Whatever yarn you are using for the Baltic Sea shawl is lovely.

I want that STR colorway--wow!

Anonymous said...

My goodness - glad to see you are ok after your fall. The dad sweater looks great and so do the socks. I love how the sister's socks are coming along. The color way you are using on that is very interesting.

Carina said...

I'm loving that sweater. It's soooo Ohio State, and Hubby would love that. :-)