Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Knitting and Spinning and Socks!

There has been knitting progress on most (though not all) fronts. The first is literally a front, the front piece of my dad's sweater. The ends need to be sewn in, but I'll do that later, when everything is done and I'm ready to block.


Why is it upside down? Because the photo editing software that comes with my camera doesn't have a way to flip pictures around easily. I kind of like it, though. Inadvertently defying convention, that's me!

My sister's socks are also finished. I loved working with the Opal Hundertwasser. Not only are the colors pretty, not only is it fun to watch them change, but the stitch definition on this yarn is incredible. Had I known how good it was, I might have chosen a more interesting pattern to show it off, in spite of the busy colors.

Pattern Details:
Pattern: Lichen Ribbed Sock from Knitting Vintage Socks
Yarn: Opal Hundertwasser in Der Blaue Mond (what a pretty name!)
Needles: US 0
Comments: This variation on the star toe is a pain in the neck. To keep holes from forming, I had to pull the stitches around the purls very tight, and it's painful! My fingers hurt for a while after the exercise. It's very pretty, though. I like it.

Lastly, there has been some spinning progress. The roving is some purple no-name stuff of unknown origin. Although I'm still having some thick/thin issues, I'm very pleased overall. Why?


Because I've figured out how to draft while the spindle is spinning, that's why! Very exciting. One moment, I was all confused and producing crap, and the next, something clicked. It's a huge step in the right direction.

26 comments:

Bezzie said...

Those socks are gorgeous! And my art teacher in HS always told us to turn our drawings/paintings upside down to see them differently and figure out what we could improve. You're just very skilled!

Zonda said...

Nice looking socks! Can't wait to see the sweater finished.

Anonymous said...

Love the socks! The sweater is looking great too.
I think I am getting bit by the sock bug again, but I have too much stuff I am working on right now to start socks. Maybe after the wedding...

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Those socks are beautiful!! Love love love the color! Your sister will be so happy!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Those socks are beautiful!! Love love love the color! Your sister will be so happy!

Jess said...

thats some even spinning raaht thur. :)
Love the upside down part of the sweater. The socks look pretty fab as well. Nice work, batty. Nice work.

schrodinger said...

congrats on the spinning breakthrough.

Vyvyan said...

You can't give those socks to your sister since they match your carpet. I think they were meant to be on your feet on your floor forever. BTW, I really like the color of your carpet. I know, odd comment.

Anonymous said...

I love those socks! That yarn name is beautiful and the color pattern is very interesting, I may have to get myself some of that!

sgeddes said...

I love the socks!

They came out great.

spinndiva said...

I love the purple hand spun! Isn't it just like that? I remember.. for me it was the same way.. I was ready to say this spinning thing is just not for me and the very next moment it miraculously worked....and now i am addicted....
I love the color of the socks!
That sweater is looking great as well!

cpurl17 said...

whoo hooo spinning breakthru! I can only draft 'over the fold'--I'm still waiting for that other breakthrough. Your yarn is looking great. If it gets thick and thin just say it's like Colinette Point 5.

Alma said...

Hundertwasser would have been thrilled with those socks.
The colours are so very beautiful. And the toe is beautiful too! It looks very smooth and even compared to the ones I know.
And your handspun is very impressive!

Unknown said...

Nice spinning! I'm just about to order my own spindle, so wish me some of those good spinning vibes. Like I have time for MORE fibre arts, hahaha...

Anonymous said...

I like how the socks turned out :) And the spinning is gorgeous.

Rain said...

Ohh I like those socks! The sweater wil be lovely when its finished too. Hang in there with the spinning, it looks like it's really coming along.

sharon said...

I'm still working on pattern design, so the spinning will have to wait. Love the socks though.

Cindiluhu (Freezebabee) said...

I love those socks! I know what you mean about pulling to keep it tight, I hate that and I have a tendency to be a loose knitter as it is.

Anonymous said...

thanks for all your comments - I love those socks - amazing colors... when it's not midnight, I gotta come back and see what else you've been knitting & spinning. Don't worry about drinking with too many strawberries, new fruit is on the way. -- Thea (babycocktails)

Anonymous said...

ooooh you big batty!

thedmstrikesback.blogspot.com

Jo said...

Yay - good for you... now, can you teach me? I bought a drop spindle at MDSW and have only made one half-hearted attempt at using it so far. The socks are very pretty.

soapy said...

great shade of red and neat socks!

Rebel said...

I like those socks - way pretty! - zuma

Carina said...

I really like that purple roving and how it's spinning up. Very, very nice. :-)

SuzannaBanana said...

Can I be the 25th person to say that those socks are beautiful?

fleegle said...

Wonderful socks. They actually look cool, although they are probably very warm :)