Monday, June 04, 2007

All sorts of stuff (Lots of pictures)

There is so much, where to start?
How about a package. To be more exact, the last SP package I got from Jo, my knitty SP 8 secret pal. I was out of the country so she sent it after I got back. The summer issue of IK, which I love, yarn that's soft and cushy and eminently pettable, some cards and envelopes, and soap that smells like lemon drops. I swear I'm having the hardest time not biting into that bar!


But that wasn't all. I also received two balls of SWTC Karaoke in a pretty rainbow colorway. I took one look at it and immediately had to start crocheting a cute little bag. Here it is, all done and ready to be felted. It's my first ever successful crochet project and I'm immensely proud of myself.


And here's a shot of it from the bottom. It's going to be my hippie rainbow dice bag because I'm a gaming geek with too many dice. It's in the washing machine and felting as we speak.
Jo, thank you for sending me yarn that resulted in crocheting success after over 20 years of trying! You've been a wonderful SP.


Thanks to tendinitis in my right hand, the sock hasn't progressed much. I'm done with the decreases, now another 2.5" of pattern, and I can turn the heel.


And now, another shot of Monica, all done and blocked and ready to go. I used Poops' modifications because knitting the whole thing in the round made sense. As she said, it's a tube, so why seam? I also added 3 to 4 rows of ribbing in places to keep the whole thing from rolling. It worked great!
It took only a few days of knitting, Sunday through Wednesday.


Pattern details
Pattern: Monica (from knitty)
Yarn: Tahki Cotton Classic, 100% mercerized cotton
Needles: US #5 and US #6
Mods: Body and ruffle knit in the round, ribbing added to body and ruffle to prevent rolling

28 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Is Jo the bestest SP? She's such a thoughtful person!

Nell said...

What a great package! That looks like DB alpaca silk - my favorite So squooshy.....

Poops said...

Oh, I do love that Karaoke yarn! And the bag is really cute. I keep saying I'm going to do more crotcheting, and yet...not so much. But that bag is cute! Makes me want to do it again!

Sue, aka seiding said...

Monica is so cute! And so is your rainbow bag. Don't forget to post it once it's felted.

sgeddes said...

What nice looking SP package. I love the little dice bag you made. I'm looking forward to seeing it all felted. How large is it going to be when finished?

Batty said...

Thank you! Yes, Jo is wonderful, and the yarn really is DB alpaca silk. Lovely, squishy, I can't believe I'd never tried it before.

Not to worry, I'll show off that bag when it's done felting. Right now, it's sitting in our downstairs bathroom and drying. You better believe I'm going to brag... this is my first-ever crocheted project that isn't a lopsided dishcloth!

Not sure what the measurements are, but I'll measure it when it's dry.

TheKnittingBee said...

That's such a lovely bag! (and thanks for the heads up that IK Summer 07 is out - must head to the bookshop tomorrow!)

I hope your arms are feeling OK :)

Unknown said...

The bag is so cute, I can't wait to see it felted. I love your Monica, too! Cute color combination.

I hope your hand feels better soon!

weezalana said...

Nice package! And congrats on some good crochet - that bag is too cute, even pre-felted!

Jo said...

Oh, I am so happy you liked everything in there :) The soap was yummy, wasn't it? I'm sorry the package was a little late in coming - but you have been a wonderful person to spoil!

Bezzie said...

Mmm! Lemon drop soap! I want to smell like a lemon drop!

Annie said...

Very cute Monica!

Zonda said...

Fab package! I bet that soap is so hard not to eat!!

Monica is too cute! Great job on your bag, it's very colorful!

sharon said...

love the crochet bag - it's funny the comments you made about the big gurl being a crocheter, cause for years I was a much better crocheter than knitter. The monica, is getting me inspired, but I may have to go find new yarn to make it with, cause I don't think the berocco twist will work.
I guess if I actually cast it on and tried...
Going to knit it in the round too

Jessica said...

Great job on the bag and the tank. I hope your tendinitis gets better!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, now, that's a goodie package to receive - how could a day go wrong when it brings such a package with it? ;) The yarn looks so yummy - and so does your little crocheted bag, so totally cute - as well as Monica, I'm totally impressed by how beautifully you knit it up!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

What a great SP gift! And I love the crochet bag...those colors work so well together!

And Monica...what a quick knit! Great job! Makes me want to pull out the yarn I have for it and make it! Plus thanks for linking the modifications because I thought the same thing (knit in the round!). She'll love it!

GURO said...

Fabulous everything! Fabulous Jo, fabulous Monica!!!, fabulous bag...

Ceallach said...

Nice dice bag.

If it that doesn't work, you can store your knucklebones in it.

Vyvyan said...

Love how the striping worked out on your dice bag (saying that makes me crack up cuz it sounds so close to something else that isn't nice). My son is using a Royal Crown bag (wasn't mine) for his dice and I'd love to replace it. He hasn't gamed much lately so he may not need a replacement.

I hope your pain goes away forever--optimistic thoughts coming your way.

Bonnie said...

Great rainbow bag! I'm sorry to hear about your tendinitis. I hope it's better soon.

i was having some wrist pain--actually more like thumb pain--last fall and began taking frequent hand/wrist stretching breaks as well as two glucosamine tablets every day. It's gone away, I'm happy to report.

Anonymous said...

Cute bag, and Monica is such a cute top. I really should make one for Fiona.

spinndiva said...

Oh I love the little pouch! the colors are so cool and I love the way it made circles on the bottom...
and what a wonderful package!

Rain said...

What a fab package. love the dice bag. hope your hand is ok.

Jess said...

What a great sp! I love that bag! Monica looks great too!

Annie said...

Looks fantastic! Great package!! And way to go with the crochet!! I must learn how to do that- and soon!

LadyLinoleum said...

What cool stuff you received! The bag is awesome as is Monica. Bravo!

Hey, thank you so much for the sweet comment you left me regarding my designs. Means a lot to me. Thanks girlie!

You rock!

Unknown said...

The Ramones are TOTALLY summer music. I Wanna Be Sedated is one of my happy dance-around-the-house songs.

I should make you a copy of the mix CD I've been listening to!

I love your dice bag, can't wait to see it felted! And speaking as a fellow geek, there's no such thing as too many dice. ;-)