Friday, March 16, 2007

Yarn sale: the damage

A Stitch Above in Providence is closing forever, and I went to their going out of business sale. I feel sort of guilty because I'd never been there before, and there's something vulture-like about a bunch of sale hungry people descending on a dying business. But such qualms aside, I'm ecstatic about the amount of stuff I got.


I got a bunch of yarn: 4 skeins in SWTC Bamboo, 2 skeins of Tofutsies, 2 skeins of sock yarn (Artyarns?), 3 skeins of Manos, and 4 skeins of Karaoke, in 2 different yet similar greys. I also got a thrummed mitten kit in a beautiful bright purple, the pattern for Fibertrends felted clogs, and Folk Knitting in Estonia. Now I'm on a yarn diet till the end of the year -- or till I get a job that pays well. Whichever comes first!

16 comments:

Bezzie said...

Yeah I hate vulturing too, but a sale's a sale! ;-)

Nice haul!

cpurl17 said...

I know what you mean about a dying business.

I hope the high paying, exciting job falls in your lap so you can support your yarn habit! :)

Anonymous said...

That Manos is so pretty! I know what you mean about those going-out-of-business sales, but I just tell myself that if I don't buy the yarn, maybe no one will, and I can't let something so nice go unloved!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

That bamboo looks gorgeous!!! I agree with bezzie, a sale's a sale...but at least you seem to have made a generous donation :)

Carina said...

Nice haul. :-)

I like the hand-dyed handspun, too. No wonder you liked the Browns sweater. *giggle* It's nice yarn, though. That should knit up nicely.

Pinkwool said...

Oh that Manos is gorgeous! I want to try the Tofutsies too. Let me know how you like the thrummed mittens, a project I'd like to try.

I wouldn't worry too much abiut vulturing a sale, you are helping them rid of their stock. Its a win-win situ., :)

LadyLungDoc said...

It's unlikely that they marked stuff down to the price they paid, so they should have made a profit off what you bought.

Anonymous said...

You're still helping them make a profit, so don't feel guilty. You got some great stuff there, I'm jealous!

Rain said...

I looks like that will keep you busy for a while. You've chosen some lovely stuff.

Andi said...

Who among us can resist a "Yarn Store Going-out-of-business Sale"
You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Oh yummy, there's some gorgeous skeins of yarn on this pic! Have fun knitting it up!

Larjmarj said...

What a great haul!! too bad they are going out of business. Love the Manos.

Rachel said...

Great haul Batty! :)

Anonymous said...

Oooooh. Nice finds. At least you helped them earn a bit of final cash? I'm terribly jealous of your folk knitting book. If only it were economical to fly to LYS sales... Can't wait to see what you make with all those goodies!

Annie said...

Great yarn! I love a good yarn sale!!

SuzannaBanana said...

That lilac yarn is so pretty. I would have ended up with armloads of it, whether I knew what to do with it or not. The way I see it, you showed incredible restraint in only purchasing what you did. Good job!

I'm on a yarn diet until next year, too. We can be diet buddies.