Thursday, February 08, 2007

The ML Experience

I'm using Magic Loop to knit my sock pal's socks -- one at a time, because it's my first time using this technique. My impressions so far:
It's easy. If you really know how a sock works, you don't have any trouble figuring out which needle to use when or which needle to pull out.
It's handy because you only have one long needle, not 5 out of which 1 invariably gets lost.
It's supposedly better for the join because you don't have gaps between needles. So far, I'm still getting gaps between needles, and worse than with DPNs. But maybe that'll get better with experience.
Once I figured out how to make the cable hang down instead of sticking up and getting in the way, things got a lot easier.
This is still a bit slow for me, but the longer I do it, the faster I'll get. Practice, practice, practice!
Next up: pictures of socks. I really need to hurry up to get them done in time for the deadline!

11 comments:

rincaro said...

The best tip I got for ML was to make sure that you keep the sock closed. Basically, to not stick your fingers in or stretch the tube over your hand or anything. Keeping the points where ladders might occur close together and not stressing them helps prevent ladders.

Elspeth said...

Interesting - I should try it myself.

Jo said...

Why do you think you haev worse gaps this way than with the DPNs?

Unknown said...

Glad you posted this, Batty. I just got a 40" needle to try ML for the first time. Haven't cast on yet, I think I'm a bit intimidated. I'm glad to hear that another first-timer thinks it's easy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your impressions! I haven't tried the magic loop technique yet, but now after reading your entry I guess I'll just have to - especially due to the fact that I also seem to get gaps between the needles all the time, it'd be so great having a technique to prevent that!

Rain said...

He he, rather you than me. I always mess it up.

weezalana said...

I love me my dpns, but I've been meaning to try ml. May have to give it a whirl this weekend now!

LadyLungDoc said...

You'll never want to go back!

When you start the "row", pull the first stitch quite tight; that helps to minimize ladders.

Presumably if you block the socks, the ladders should lessen, right?

KNIT A NEW DREAM said...

I learned on the magic loop and have a really hard time with dp knitting. Once you master it you can use it on any project that calls for double points..I make all the sleeve for my baby sweaters and the itty bitty stuff with magic loop! It is most excellent! Sue

cpurl17 said...

Can't wait to see the photos!!

Larjmarj said...

Love the ML method. I just made a pair of leg warmers using ML. As for the gaps...?...Hmmmmm, I'm a little baffled there all I can suggest is when you switch sides really give your yarn a good tug to close any gap. Do this after you push the stitches on to the front needle and pull the back needle through.