Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Turkey Day!

We've finished cooking and stuffing ourselves. The leftovers are in the fridge, and I am happily ensconced in my comfy chair. Now for some knitting, and life will be perfect.

One question, though: Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with my pie crust? It turns out either way too crumbly to work (why? why? why?), or, if I add too much water to counteract the crumbliness, shell-like and not at all airy and flaky.
If you have the solution to my pie crust problem, please help. I'm baffled.

3 comments:

Pinkwool said...

Hey Batty! I am not sure what's going down with the crust but check out Ina Garten's pie crust at the bottom of this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_29717,00.html?rsrc=search

I know she uses a food processor and keeps her butter and water ice cold, says it makes a prefectly flakey crust. She even goes to the extreme of keeping ice cubes in her water cup. I hope that helps ya!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...pie. Love pie...but I unfortunately don't know a whole lot about pastry making.
You could always try my method of pastry making. It involves a bank card, a car, a store and a shopping cart. *big grins* If you need more details, please feel free to contact me. :P Hee hee!
Sounds like Turkey Day was quite a feast! I'm very jealous of all of the American feasters this weekend. Lucky Ducks! :)

Ceallach said...

I know of what you speak....I think it has to do with mixing the pie crust ingredients too smoothly....really you want chunks.