Monday, October 16, 2006

Spooky haul - long overdue!

My wonderful spooky SP sent me an amazing box of goodies, and I never got to blog about it until now! So, before I appear ungrateful, I better do it justice!


Bat garland. Purple. Sparkly. Need I say more? And an orange bat candle! Those are pencils with a variety of Halloween motifs and yes, bats! But that's not all. Candy! Mouth shaped, both green and fanged. Yum, fang lollipop! And loads of plastic bats, glow in the dark skulls, pumpkins, spooky Bart Simpson 'skin art' (grin!), it's great.
And look at the adorable stuffed kitty. I can't have a real kitty, but this is the next best thing. And a big, bright spider web, complete with spiders!
And... haven't I run out of ands yet? Well, no, since I haven't run out of stuff.

ROVING! Complete with orange Kool Aid for dying. I just got a spindle (which stariel helped pick out, since I know nothing about spinning). Can't wait to try this. Not that my first yarn will be perfect, but it'll be orange. Swoon!

Thank you so much, spooky SP! I'm still overwhelmed.

9 comments:

KnitChick said...

Congrats on your first roving!! So, you gonna dye it before, or after you spin it?

Batty said...

I don't know! Any suggestions? Are there any pros/cons I should know about?

stariel did a brief hand spinning demo for me while we were still at WEBS, so I sort of know how it's supposed to work. But I'm not sure how being spun/not spun yet would affect the dyejob.

cpurl17 said...

Cute Halloween Hall! Perfect for a gal named Batty! :)

Rain said...

What a fab package.

TheKnittingBee said...

Excellent Hallowe'em goodies! And hoorah, you are finally going to spin :)

I was going to drop you a note about spinning with RSI - I think the main issue is with pinching the twist (for me anyway), and if you are using a spindle then there's the weight of the spindle to think of as well (again, for me, weight is an issue). However, if you listen to your body and make sure you don't overdo it (pinch gently, don't hold the fibre with a death-grip, stop if it hurts, etc) you should be fine!

As for dyeing before or after... When I have dyed top with Kool Aid I've found that it can felt slightly. It still spins up perfectly, just needs a lot of pre-drafting, which involves a lot of pinching and pulling. If you are starting out spinning then I'd say spin the roving first, then dye the yarn. If you're going for an all-over colour it won't make much difference anyway.

Besides, you can always get more fibre and more Kool Aid later ;)

Anonymous said...

More fiber.. right order taken..

I will give you a hint and tell you I'll be at Rhinebeck this weekend...

Bat Attack!

soapy said...

What a fun package! Have fun!

weezalana said...

What fun stuff! Can't wait to see whatcha do with the roving. :)

Zonda said...

Nice package there! Good luck with the spinning! :)