Friday, May 12, 2006

The Kindness of Knitters

Knitters are generous people. Yesterday, I decided to go to the student lounge before my exam, all freaked out and looking for a place to cram. So I got comfortable and started going through my notes. Know the feeling when the exam approaches and you realize how much there is to know, how much more you should have studied, and how there's no way you're going to pass this test? Well, that's where I was. Not a good place to be, emotionally speaking.

That was when I noticed part of a colorful picture poking out from a pile of library science magazines. It looked a bit unusual, so I pulled it out -- only to see that I was holding the holiday issue of Vogue Knitting! And across it, someone had written in big, friendly letters, "TAKE ME"! So I did, and it made me feel very happy. Not only is this an issue I hadn't bought, not only was I excited to see three patterns I absolutely must make. But I felt as if someone had offered me a kindness at a time when I was preoccupied with all the bad things that could happen on the exam. It reminded me of the fact that sometimes, good things happen, too.

It sounds kind of corny when you write it out like that. An exam is hardly the most important thing in the world, and finding a knitting magazine on a table isn't going to change my life forever. But I want to thank the Unknown Knitter for leaving something she didn't need in a place where it could distract someone who needed distracting. It was a wonderful, generous thing to do.

4 comments:

Rain said...

I hope your exam went well.

What a lovely thing to do with the magazine. It's good that it's found a new home with you.

veritas said...

that's lovely... timing like that is just great, something showing up just at the right moment. hope the exam was fine, happy and fun :)

hootsister said...

That's a great story! I'll have you know I have a final this evening, and what am I doing? Leaving comments on blogs!

Margot said...

What a nice story.

Don't sell your efforts short. The exam is the most importatnt thing while you're taking it. Whatever you're doing is the most important thing. I feel all buddha-y now. : )